This Magical Town is characterized by having the largest number of tequila-producing companies, each company has been concerned with preserving its processes and presenting them to tourists, each with its own peculiar history and significance. The agave landscape is a world heritage site and its beauty is compelling, overwhelming. Seeing those plants between blue and green, one after another, with their hard and symmetrical shapes filling the hills until they reach the horizon is like looking at the sea. Who has not seen the agave landscape is like someone who has not visited the ocean said the poet from Jalisco Dante Medina and was right. You have to see it, witness it, be amazed by its beauty.
Primitively it was called Tequillan or Tecuila, which has been interpreted as: place where it is cut or place of tributes. Its primitive settlers were Chichimecas, Otomies, Toltecs and Nahuatlacas. The town was originally settled in a place called Teochichán or Techinchán: place of Almighty God or where ties and traps abound.
Cristóbal de Oñate conquered the region. Upon arrival, the natives raised albarradas to defend themselves on the hill of Teochtinchán or Teochtenchán; but when making sure that everything was useless, they received it in peace. The conqueror's arrival occurred in April 1530.
The Franciscans headed by Fray Juan Calero, populated the current site of Tequila, with indigenous groups brought from the Cerro del Chiquihuitillo, founding the town of Santiago de Tequila on April 15, 1530; which was entrusted to Juan de Escárcena.
In early 1541, an insurrection of the Tecoxin Indians and Caxcans took place, which spread from the Sierra de Tepec to Tlaltenango, Xochipila, Nochictlán and Teocaltech. Coaxicari, was the chief in the west and Tenamaxtli, already called Diego Zacatecas, in the north. In May 1541, the indigenous people of Tequila, Ahualulco and Ameca joined the rebellion, going back to the Tequila hill, guided by Tenamaxtli. Fray Juan Calero, or of the Holy Spirit, went to the hill to pacify them, inviting them to come down, but he was sacrificed with arrows and stones, stripping him of his habits and hanging him on the idol they venerated.
The natives of Tequila and Ameca also killed Fray Antonio de Cuellar, guardian of the Etzatlán convent, who had tried through meditation to avoid a bloody war.
In October 1541, Viceroy Antonio de Mendoza, alarmed by the rebellion, left Mexico for New Galicia; determined to quell that insurrection. The chief Diego Zacatecas appeared before the viceroy, who was taken prisoner to Etzatlán where he released him on the condition that they return to his town and dedicate themselves to work and study of doctrine. Finally he was sent to Spain.
Once the rebels were defeated, in December 1541; Friar Francisco Lorenzo returned from Etzatlán to continue the pacifying work of the natives through their evangelization.
The first factory was installed in 1600 by Don Pedro Sánchez de Tagle, Marquis of Altamira, who introduced the cultivation and distillation of mezcal to produce tequila.
Around 1623, Domingo Lázaro de Arregui in his "Description of the New Galicia" refers to the township of Tequila, in the following terms: "[...] The Tequila Indians try to bring fruit to Guadalaxara, which, being the town very sheltered and having the river so deep and close, they have the most of the year watermelons and melons and many bananas. And the town has a very high mountain or hill near the houses, very near the houses, and they call the Tequila hill, and it climbs more than 40 leagues from the east. Through this town of Tequila passes the road that comes from Mexico and Guadalaxara to all these maritime provinces up to that of Sinaloa. »
A man nicknamed the "golden mask" in the early XNUMXs is known to have spoken out against the Spanish government. The governor of Nueva Galicia, José Fernández Abascal, put down the uprising, receiving as a prize for this act of arms, the title of viceroy of Peru.
In November 1810 the bachelor Rafael Pérez, by order of José María Mercado, arrived from Etzatlán in front of 200 men, seizing the plaza. A heroic act that should make the locals proud with justice was then verified, Agustina Ramírez de Rodríguez, a mestizo, native of the town and mother of 11 children, not all of age, handed them over to the insurgents to fight for independence.
By decree of March 27, 1824, Tequila became the head of a department and in that same provision the title of town was granted. From this date Tequila exists as a municipality.
In 1825, it appears registered as a town with city hall and department head of the 5th canton of Etzatlán.
By decree number 265 published on January 15, 1872, the departments of Ahualulco and Tequila are erected in twelfth canton, this second place being the head. Later, in March 1891, the head of the 12th canton was definitively established in Ahualulco.
On January 9, 1874, decree number 384 was published, by which the town of Tequila was granted the title of city, in recognition of the patriotic and courageous conduct observed by its neighbors on January 24, 1873; when the political chief Sixto Gorjón, in front of fifty hundred gendarmes and a group of brave Tequila residents, bravely resisted the fact that the city was taken by the hosts of Manuel Lozada "El Tigre de Alica"; which finally happened taking the lives of the locals.