Jerez, the most cheerful of the Magical Towns, is a corner in Zacatecas that alludes to the origin and origin of its Andalusian founders who left their testimonies in the construction of their residences and in the various manifestations of their daily life. Surrounded by the imposing Sierra de Cardos and with the permanent promise of finding a tamborazo, a celebration and a space worthy of photography, this place was designated Pueblo Mágico in 2007.
The stately Villa de Jerez de la Frontera, today Jerez de García Salinas, in the state of Zacatecas, was ordered to be founded in the year 1569, but it was until 1572 when it was definitively founded and populated by several ranchers, captains and men of war, being its founders and first settlers the captain of Extremadura origin Pedro Carrillo Dávila and the Castilians Pedro Caldera and Martín Moreno.
The word Jerez comes from Xerez, an Arabic word that means "Place where vegetables abound." This municipality was named after the first conquerors who came from Spain, and because of the similarity that the place had with Jerez de la Frontera, province of Spain. It became the first Magical Town in the state of Zacatecas since 2007.
It is here where the oldest popular fair in Zacatecas “La Feria de Primavera” is held, which dates back to 1825. It invariably starts at Easter.
Some Jerez houses are essential to local history, among them are: the houses where two presidents of the republic stayed, Mr. Benito Juárez and General Plutarco Elías Calles, the first in 1867 and the second in 1925; like the Ramón López Velarde House Museum, where the Mexican poet first saw the light in 1888, spending the first years of his childhood in this house until 1894, the year in which he, together with his parents and brothers, lived in the Aguascalientes city. Among these houses are others of historical interest to the town, such as that of the Bank and that of the Sánchez Castellanos family.
Among the squares, gardens and malls of the city we have the main square, that is, the Rafael Páez garden, built in 1887; previous to this is the popularly known as Jardín Chico, officially called Hidalgo, first and oldest in Jerez, whose land was sold to the church in 1853. These gardens are followed by the Juárez garden, which is in what it was the old square of the Tithe, disappeared with the construction of said garden. Among the Jerez squares we can list the current Tacuba square. From the gardens, we went to the Alameda de Jerez, of which our Jerez poet Ramón López Velarde was a regular visitor. Of education and culture, the town enjoys the Torre building, a school built for girls in 1896, a time of prosperity and prosperity with which the majestic Hinojosa theater was built, whose name is due to Don José María Hinojosa, who was political chief from Jerez.
The inhabitants of Jerez mostly profess the Catholic religion, and for demonstration they have the temples of the Immaculate Conception, the parish church and the Sanctuary built in honor of Our Lady of Solitude, patron saint of the town. In addition to these two temples, they have the chapels of Our Lady of Dolores, of Mary Help of Christians, of the Tithe, today built to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. The city center is assisted by three parishes located throughout the city, such as San José Obrero, San Francisco and Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe.
With the great importance that our gastronomy has acquired, in 2018 the first gastronomic festival called "Legends of Flavor, Cuisine and Wine" began, where it was possible to gather most of all our typical dishes. There is also the Toast Festival, which is already traditional.