Magical Town of Coahuila, whose magic lies in its gastronomy, customs and traditions; with great natural wealth, cradle of men and women who fought for the progress of Mexico in the different historical stages. Land of strong paleontological significance and home to the Mascogos and the Kikapú Indians.
The Kikapús and Mascogos tribes have settled in Múzquiz since the 19th century and have given it a mystery that few cities in the country have. The presence of these tribes in Coahuilense territories actually comes from colonial times, Emperor Carlos III had already given permission for them to live in the province of Texas, where they were from 1767 to 1824.
Its importance came around 1848, when the Mexican government asked them to protect the Rio Bravo border, this custody is said to have prevented more soil from being lost at the time of the US invasion. In recognition of their efforts, in 1870 they were allowed to settle in the surroundings of Múzquiz, the first in El Nacimiento, the second in the Benito Juárez neighborhood and in El Nacimiento, which Juárez expropriated from the Sánchez Navarro family for having supported the Empire of Maximilian.
The Mascogos are Afro-descendant, their ancestors were runaway slaves from British plantations in southern Carolina and Georgia. For some time they were part of the Seminole indigenous community. When fleeing from the slave hunters they ended up settling in Coahuila. They currently have settlements in Oklahoma, Texas, The Bahamas, and Múzquiz.
On September 26, 1735, being Viceroy of New Spain don Juan Antonio de Vizarrón y Eguarreta, the establishment of a prison was declared, by royal order, which would serve as protection against attacks by the Indians that were lashing the region.
On August 29, 1737, there was a mass between the settlers and the military who founded the new prison, which would help control the Chichimec tribes of the Coahuilense desert. It was the day of Santa Rosa de Lima, the first saint on the continent, of Peruvian origin. That is why the presidium and the community were called that way, the viceroy indicated that the virgin should also be honored and hence she was called Santa Rosa María del Sacramento. The name was simplified to Villa de Santa Rosa. In 1850, he acquired the secular name, in honor of the military, political, first governor of the State of Mexico and interim president of the country from August 14 to December 24, 1832, Melchor Múzquiz.
In the middle of the 19th century and to honor the memory of the great patrician, General Melchor Eca and Múzquiz de Arrieta, son of this place and interim president of the Republic in 1832, by decree dated February 6, 1850, the old name was abolished to become a town of Múzquiz.
On March 9, 1925 it rises to the category of city with the current name of Melchor Múzquiz. As a symbol of the hero to whom he owes the name, in the Plaza Hidalgo there is a bronze statue of him. At the other end stands the Church of Santa Rosa de Lima, an extraordinary building built in 1939 and completed until 1965.
They also cook kid, crushed and cheeses and delicious milk, piloncillo and walnut sweets.