Mazamitla is a municipality and population of the state of Jalisco, Mexico. It is located 124 km south of Guadalajara in the Southeast Region. Its name comes from the Nahuatl and means "Place where deer are hunted with arrows." Its territorial extension is 177.18 km2. According to the II Population and Housing Count, the municipality has 11,671 inhabitants, who are mainly dedicated to the tertiary sector, and due to its natural beauty it is considered a magical town by the Ministry of Tourism of Mexico.
Mazamitla was founded by the Aztecs in 1165. It belonged to the Lordship of Tzapotlán and they paid tribute to the Tamazollan chief; in 1481 it was invaded by the Purépechas to seize the Sayula Lagoon; the Purépechas, were dominating a few years until they were defeated at the end of the Saltpeter War, in 1510 ...
This place was discovered and conquered by Cristóbal de Olid together with Juan Rodríguez de Villafuerte, at the beginning of the year 1522, when he was sent by Hernán Cortés to explore the western region of Mexico. And by document of Carlos V, king of Spain, to Antonio de Mendoza, viceroy of New Spain, on March 30, 1537 the territory was delimited and San Cristóbal Mazamitla was named. When the Lordship of Tzapotlán was conquered with the towns that belonged to it, Hernán Cortés was automatically assigned as encomienda and appointed Antón Salcedo encomendero. Upon being appointed president of the Royal Audience of Mexico, Nuño Beltrán de Guzmán removed Cortés from these charges.
It is said that Miguel Hidalgo, when he was there as an internal pastor, celebrated a mass in Palos Gordos. An oak trunk, which is kept as a relic, served as an altar. On the cobbler's slope the insurgents and the royalists clashed in 1812. Those were commanded by Francisco Echeverría, who despite having been victorious was seriously wounded, and died in Mazamitla. During the French Intervention, the invaders burned the files.
From 1825 it belonged to the 4th canton of Sayula until 1878, when it became part of the 9th canton of Ciudad Guzmán. On April 19, 1894 it was erected in a municipality by decree of the state congress.