San Blas is about a four-hour drive north of Puerto Vallarta. Known for its pristine beaches, the town has a population of about 10,000 people. The surfers consider this a hotspot, but visitors will only find peace and quiet… and maybe a couple of restaurants serving fine seafood.
Bird watchers look no further. San Blas is a tropical paradise for birds and their watchers. Covered with mangrove swamps, estuaries, lagoons and beaches, this is one of the most important natural shelters for birds in the Western Hemisphere. According to studies made by the Audubon Society, San Blas is home to 300 species of birds, making it second only to Panama. Most of these species live in areas that are accessible to visitors. The best months to observe them are October through April.
Bahia de Matanchen, the main beach, will satisfy the demands of surfers, water skiers, sailboat navigators and divers, while Las Islitas Beach is the place to be if you want to relax. Other attractions are the ruins of the San Basilio Fortress, founded in 1530, La Contaduria, built in 1770, the ruins of the Nuestra Señora del Rosario Temple, constructed in 1769 and the Ex Maritime Customs transformed into the Culture House.
A visit to La Tovara is highly recommended; this is a Natural Park with caves, a hatchery for conserving and reproducing crocodiles, and a spring that spouts crystal-clear water surrounded by small restaurants with regional cuisine.
Just one mile is Singayta, where you can rent horses, bikes or a boat to tour through the jungle and the mangrove swamps. The Isabel Island is 44 miles away, this is a volcanic island with cliffs and astonishing beaches, a refuge for thousands of birds.
Isla de Mexcaltitlan is a small island of floating mangroves and lowlands that is reputed to be the legendary Aztlan, birthplace and home city of the Aztec civilization. It is a unique place, since in its small area holds a well-developed urban area with streets that became navigable canal during rainy season, a central plaza, a church and an interesting museum.