Converted in a large metropolis, the city of San Luis Potosí celebrates this November 3rd its 419 anniversary, after its foundation in 1592.
Named after the French king Luis IX, enjoyed a great splendor still current thanks to its mining industry.
Besides, during the Mexican Revolution, Plan de San Luis was redacted in this territory, that impresses its visitors with impressive historical, civil and religious architecture.
Baroque and Neoclassic Style
The tenth largest city of Mexico was designated as Heritage of the Mankind by the UNESCO mainly for the nineteenth century architecture in its constructions of the Historical Downtown.
Gardens, balconies and facades of baroque and neoclassic style constitute the main view of the city.
San Luis’ Cathedral, built in 1670, combines both styles, since its façade, with two side towers and columns with small vaults covered with tiles adopt the baroque style. The neoclassic one is expressed in its interior with stained-glass windows, 12 Carrara marble apostles and 12 stone apostles.
The Main Square, located in the heart of the city, allows the harmonic coexistence of the civil and religious architecture; as well as the Viceroyship and Porfiriato styles with contemporary constructions. This square has a kiosk made in pink quarry, from 1948.
In the surroundings of this square there is the Government Palance, construction of neoclassic façade started in 1789.
This building stands out for its main balcony, in which a clock was installed in 1910, the Receptions Room, Hidalgo Room and Juárez Room, famous for the wax figures which remind a historical event, when Benito Juárez denied the princess of Salm-Salm the indult to the Emperor Maximiliano.
Another neoclassic building is Teatro de la Paz. It is considered as one of the most important cultural centers of the city, which has murals in tile and a capacity for 1315 spectators.
The Central Building of the University, Ipiña Building, the Museum of Masks, and the Monumental Palace are other representatives of the neoclassic style in this city.
The Municipal Palace, dating from the nineteenth century, stands out for the proportion of its arches and its monumental staircase. In its interior a stained-glass window can be appreciated that shows the Coat-of-Arms of the city. During some years it housed the Episcopal residence and the Royal Houses, for which it presents Biblical scenes in its murals.
An example of the baroque style can be found in Caja Real, a building that shows an octagonal façade made in quarry and which is an important space of cultural events.
Templo del Carmen, Iglesia de la Compañía (Church of the Company) and Loreto’s Chapel, among other constructions showcase in their walls the baroque style of such epoch.
Casa de la Virreina (Vicereine House) is an ancient construction that was dweeled by Doña Francisca de la Gándara, considered the only Mexican vicereine. Today, it houses the restaurant Posada del Virrey and a gallery of photography in the second floor.
Ancient and Baroque Music Festival
Music in San Luis Potosí gains a special relevance with the celebration of the Ancient and Baroque Music Festival “Los Fundadores” (The Founding Fathers), created in 1997 to commemorate the anniversary of the foundation of this city.
This musical encounter is based in medieval, renaissance and Mexican viceregal, Arab, Andalusian and baroque music; it offers conferences, tours and dance and theater representations referring to the baroque.
Presentations of these recitals are carried out in scenarios accordingly to the style of the music, this thanks to the baroque style constructions existing in San Luis Potosí.
An example of that are the temples del Carmen, San Francisco, the city’s Cathedral, the Aránzazu Chapel, Teatro de la Paz and the parishes of San Sebastián and San Miguelito.
Solo artists and groups dedicated to the research and broadcast of this kind of music are summoned in every edition of the festival. This year Ars Antiqua, guitar player Ramón Macías Mora, Ensamble Ditirambo, Segrel, Danserye and Macchina Tempo, are part of the participating companies.